Perhaps the most crucial part of any car is its engine and that’s true whether you’re a performance nut or a fuel and environment conscious driver. No matter which category you fall in, the engine is the one component that really gives your car soul.
But, like everything, some engines are a bit more equal than others and Ward has released its annual 10 best list of engines that truly accelerate in performance, efficiency or both.
Without further ado, here are the 10 best engines for 2015 (in no particular order):
- Chrysler’s 6.2 litre supercharged & Hellcat V8
- Chrysler’s 3.0 turbodiesel V6
- BMW’s 1.5 litre turbocharged 3-cynlinder
- BMW’s electric motor
- Subaru’s 2.0 litre turbocharged 4-cylinder boxer
- Ford’s 1.0 litre ecoboost 3-cylinder
- Volkswagen’s 1.8 litre turbocharged 4-cylinder TSI
- Chevrolet’s 6.2 litre V8
- Hyundai’s hydrogen fuel cell
“We spend a lot of time reading the powertrain tea leaves throughout the auto industry, and we’re proud that this year’s list is a microcosm of all the latest innovation coming from automakers,” said Ward’s Editor-in-Chief Drew Winter.
Personally, I’ve tested half of the engines on that list and I definitely agree with the degree of innovation coming from these engines.
Did your car’s engine make the list?